[winswitch] How does Xpra handle input and windowing?

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Sat Dec 3 21:30:20 GMT 2011

On 12/04/2011 03:46 AM, Eric Appleman wrote:
> Assuming Xpra is used as a standalone.
Vast question! A very brief overview would be:
* for input devices (mouse and keyboard): any movement or click that
happens over xpra client windows is forwarded to the xpra server which
then moves the dummy mouse to the same position. Clicks (mouse-up,
mouse-down) and keyboard events (key-up, key-down) are also forwarded to
the xpra server which simulates the same actions using Xtst.
* for windows it works the other way: the server grabs the compositor's
view of the window as a bitmap and sends it to the client.

I've glossed over most of the details, and the devil is in the details,
but that should be enough for you to ask a more precise question..

> Also, on an unrelated note, the client window seems to disappear when
> the compositor is changed on the server side.
That sounds like a bug, xpra is designed to be *the* compositor so I
guess it should exit and disconnect the client if another compositor
takes its place.

Antoine

PS: how good is your framerate with trunk?
Last time I checked I was getting >50fps at decent resolutions with mmap
enabled (which is now the default).