[winswitch] Icon not appearing

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Thu Mar 24 23:31:59 GMT 2011

On 03/25/2011 03:57 AM, dave madsen wrote:
> Just installed winswitch on ubuntu 10.10.  Installed patch to fix 100% cpu
> problem, since if that wasn't fixed, I couldn't use it anyway.
>
> Did "dumb user" thing and clicked on "Window Switch" in Applications menu.
> It came up, said it found only one server (the local one).
>
> There's no Windows Switch icon anywhere I can see to get any menus!
>
> "ps -ef | egrep win" shows:
>
> madsen   28894     1  0 14:56 ?        00:00:12 /usr/bin/python
> /usr/bin/winswitch_applet --open_server_config=
> madsen   29059     1  0 14:56 ?        00:00:04 /usr/bin/python
> /usr/bin/winswitch_server --daemon --print-pid
> madsen   29132     1  0 14:56 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/Xvnc :62 -desktop
>  +extension RANDR -once -br -rfbport 16062 -rfbauth
> /home/madsen/.winswitch/server/sessions/62/session.pass
>
> If I click on it again, I get a box saying it's already running.
>
> None of the topics under help on the web pages seemed to apply.
>
> Note that this was happening prior to cpu usage patch as well.
>
> Suggestions?
You did everything right, you should have been seeing a tray icon as per
the first set of screenshots here:
http://winswitch.org/documentation/start.html

I've got a 10.10 netbook here and it does show up.
Have you got a notification area in your desktop bar?
What desktop environment are you using? (gnome I guess?)

It is possible that something is missing in the package, preventing it
from creating the tray icon, you can get more details by running:
winswitch_applet --debug-mode
Feel free to send me this log output if the problem is not obvious.
If I find the time, I will also try to do a clean 10.10 virtual machine
install to test the packages.

You can also try installing the latest code from source (if something is
missing in the package, this can be a workaround):
apt-get remove winswitch
svn co http://winswitch.org/svn/shifter/trunk/
cd trunk && ./release/local-install.sh