[winswitch] Using Xpra on multi-GPU laptops

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Wed Oct 5 06:59:43 BST 2011

On 05/10/11 01:49, Eric Appleman wrote:
> * VirtualGL doesn't expose the Nvidia hardware the way we'd like
> because VDPAU and NV17 are not accessible as video output.
> Furthermore, there is a significant performance penalty that we
> discovered is not present in more direct solutions such as
> hybrid-windump and Xpra.
>
> * I tried r202 last night with the following commands:
> xpra start --encoding=rgb24 -z 0 :8
> xpra attach --encoding=rgb24 -z 0 :8
That's right
(setting encoding and compression when "start"ing is not strictly
necessary if you do specify it when "attach"ing as this takes precedence)
> Is it correct? I still had the screen update problem with PNG and RGB24.
OK, that's good to know as it means that the encoding performance is
probably not causing the problem.
> * I'm not familiar with Xvfb/Xdummy. Can you explain how to use it the
> relation to Xpra?
When you start Xpra the way you did above it will normally start an Xvfb
server, not a real X11 display, which will not allow you to take
advantage of hardware acceleration. If you have an existing accelerated
X display, you should use the "--use-display" switch. I guess that ":8"
is your accelerated display? Which means starting the Xvfb failed and
xpra should have terminated with an error - will fix that..
Xdummy is just an alternative (probably not useful in your case since
you run against something else), you can find all about it here:
http://xpra.org/trac/ticket/10
> * glxgears is not the best visual test. Try glxspheres or
> mplayer2/smplayer through Xpra. The latter is pretty much unusable.
I've just tried glxspheres and I don't get any artifacts with either
Xvfb or Xdummy.
But it does render very very slowly (~5fps on a core2duo).
Watching a video with mplayer works well enough though.
Since I can't reproduce your problems, I have added a switch to turn off
all damage update batching (since I suspect your hardware does more than
20fps) and upped the batching to not trigger until 30fps:
http://xpra.org/trac/changeset/203
Please try this, also with "BATCH_EVENTS = False" as well as increasing
the MAX_EVENTS and decreasing the BATCH_DELAY. Hopefully, we can find
more optimal settings for your hardware.
> * The process using Xpra (and sometimes Xpra itself) is taking up a
> lot of CPU resources. I have 4 cores and 8 threads (i7-2630QM). It's
> taking up an entire core at times. I'm not sure what you mean by
> CPU-bound.
There should be 2 processes, one for the client and one for the server,
which one is the bottleneck?
By CPU-bound I mean that CPU is the limiting factor.
It would also be interesting to know how much bandwidth is being used,
you should be able to work that out by using the tcp socket mode
("--bind-tcp=").
> * The second Xserver has no physical video output. Some Optimus
> laptops have the HDMI ports wired directly to the Nvidia GPU, but we
> are not targeting these exceptions as a default case.
ok.

Antoine