[winswitch] WinSwitch - Issues connecting via SSH?

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Wed Feb 22 09:37:42 GMT 2012

Hi,

On 02/22/2012 10:02 AM, Victor Hooi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having some issues using Winswitch and connecting via SSH to a remote
> Linux host.
>
> Firstly - is it possible to use a SSH private key that has a password? I
> can't seem to find any option to enter in a password for the key. The
> workaround is just to use a keyfile without a password, or to use
> username/password based authentication, but neither are as secure, of
> course.
Yes.
It will use an ssh agent if one is running.
If it isn't running or if it does not have the passphrase for that key,
Winswitch will popup a dialog asking for the passphrase (the same dialog
which may ask you for a password if you have no key defined)

>From you log file, I see:
ConchUserAuth.serviceStarted() agent_socket_filename=None
Which tells me that Winswitch cannot find the ssh-agent's socket.
This is what my environment looks like, yours should be similar for it
to work:
$ export | grep -i ssh_
declare -x SSH_AGENT_PID="1998"
declare -x SSH_ASKPASS="/usr/libexec/openssh/gnome-ssh-askpass"
declare -x SSH_AUTH_SOCK="/tmp/ssh-urTdcIsR1903/agent.1903"

If this does not help, please let me know your full distribution version
and environment so I can try to reproduce the problem.

> Secondly - is there any way to use SSH via a HTTP proxy? I dont' know if
> Conch has support for this.
I don't think so.

> Finally, I've setup username/password based authentication, and I've also
> setup a SSH tunnel via Putty through which I'm connecting, however, I still
> can't seem to open a connection to the box.
>
> The server is a Ubuntu box, the client is Windows.
>
> The Winswich client is setup to connect to localhost/127.0.0.1 (I've tried
> using both) on port 29, which is then forwarded via Putty to port 22 on the
> remote Linux host.
I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do by forwarding to port
22... That's the ssh port, if you are going to forward something over
SSH by hand (rather than using the ssh tunnelling built-in to Winswitch)
then you need to forward the winswitch server port and use a plain TCP
connection to your local forwarded port (29 in your example).

> SSH tunneling and preload SSH tunnels are both set to on, in the WinSwitch
> client.
If you aren't using the built-in tunnelling, this won't get used.