[winswitch] deb-src for the tigervnc packages provided on winswitch repo

Amit Aronovitch aronovitch at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 22:51:33 GMT 2012

Dear Antoine,

Thanks for Window Switch, and all related work available from this
project (the work on xpra in particular).

It seems like you are the only distributor of tigervnc debian packages
these days. However, I could find only binaries on your repository (no
deb-src). Could you please distribute the packaging sources (or provide
a link on the website in case you already do)?

Another issue is that I could not make the vncserver work (on debian sid).
The first problem was that the Xvnc binary contained hard-coded
references to /usr/src/tigervnc-1.1.0/xorg.build (which is not
available, unless you compile the package from source...). I got over
that by symlinking /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu into 'lib' in that directory.

However, now a different failure occurs, which I have not been able to
fully diagnose: as follows:

amit at penguin:~$ Xvnc :33

Xvnc TigerVNC 1.1.0 - built Jun  4 2012 08:17:48
Copyright (C) 1999-2011 TigerVNC Team and many others (see README.txt)
See http://www.tigervnc.org for information on TigerVNC.
Underlying X server release 10605000,

Mon Nov  5 00:16:02 2012
  vncext:      VNC extension running!
  vncext:      Listening for VNC connections on all interface(s), port 5933
  vncext:      created VNC server for screen 0

Fatal server error:
Failed to allocate core devices

amit at penguin:~$ dpkg --search `which Xvnc`
tigervnc-server: /usr/bin/Xvnc

amit at penguin:~$ strings /usr/bin/Xvnc | grep 'core devices'
Failed to allocate core devices

(strace does not reveal much more - it dies after successfully reading
the file /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/cursor.pcf.gz ).

I have downloaded the source tarball for tigervnc 1.1.0 from
sourceforge, searched it, and was not able to find the string "allocate
core devices".
It might come from some statically linked library used by Xvnc, or I
might have searched the wrong tarball. The precise sources used for
building the binary could help determine this. Or better yet, you, as
the packager, might have some insight into this problem.

thanks,

     Amit A.