[winswitch] xpra 0.7.0 and little keyboard troubles

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Fri Oct 12 08:50:01 BST 2012

On 10/12/2012 02:42 PM, Dmitry Smirnov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just reporting an interesting issue with 0.7.0:
>
> On Debian Wheezy some keys may stop working after switching to non-English
> keyboard.
> For example I switch from English using Alt+Shift and then back to English by
> pressing Alt+Shift again. This breaks keypad '*' key (letter and number keys
> work as expected).
> When I repeat Alt+Shift/Alt+Shift combination keypad '*' works again.
> In non-English mode Keypad '*' do not work at all.
The keyboard code is an endless source of pain, the only way of making
it work with all configurations and platforms -if at all possible- would
be to support the Xkb api rather than using "core" as we do at present.

> Although this is only of minor inconvenience I'm reporting as it may be a
> symptom of something more serious.
It's a symptom of the X11 keyboard API being a major PITA to use. ;)

> Today I tried trunk r1944 but it is broken in regards to keyboard:
> it is not possible to switch to non-English layout using Alt+Shift.

Can you try the latest from the 0.7.x branch? I fear that the Mac OSX
keyboard fix I have added there (present in trunk) might have had that
effect. It would be best to know this before releasing this stable
update. I would rather leave OSX broken then break something new..