[winswitch] Q: how to attach to remote Xpra session through SSH with password auth.?

Dmitry Smirnov onlyjob at member.fsf.org
Tue Oct 30 06:08:44 GMT 2012

On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 16:02:08 Antoine Martin wrote:
> Works OK here:
> $ xpra attach ssh:test at localhost:10
> test at localhost's password: xpra client version 0.8.0

Thank you.
I got so used to "ssh:HOST:DISPLAY" notation and at the same time overwhelmed
with other things that this simple answer didn't quite came to mind when I
needed it.

Worth noticing that man page do not suggest that "ssh:[USER@]HOST:DISPLAY" can
be used as well and as my miserable experience proved it may not be very
obvious.

> The version string was printed over the top of the password prompt,

This was never an issue to me. What contributed to the confusion on my side is
the fact that never before I used SSH password authentication with Xpra.

I was trying to connect from someone's keyboard to my session on server where
user also had an account.

	bash: .xpra/run-xpra: No such file or directory
	cannot write using ['ssh', '-T', 'HOST']:
       the SSH process has terminated with exit code=127

I got the above error message which is just indicate that user didn't have a
Xpra session on server (I just typed "xpra attach ssh:HOST:DISPLAY"
automatically and therefore was mistakenly trying to connect to user's
session, not mine. Without password prompt (user also have a public key
authentication to the server) I misunderstood the issue as problem with
password authentication. It was totally stupid but I didn't realised it back
then in the late afternoon when I was tired and had no time.

I hope the lesson from this experience may help to improve the error message
in case when remote session don't exist.

At the moment one can tell that remote Xpra session do not exist only from
prior experience (which I'm lacking as well because I usually connect to
session that is running). As you can see the attempt to connect to non-
existent session gives two errors:

	bash: .xpra/run-xpra: No such file or directory

	cannot write using ['ssh', '-T', 'HOST']:
		the SSH process has terminated with exit code=127

neither of which is clear about the real issue (cause).

Cheers,
Dmitry.