[winswitch] xpra 0.6.1 -- feedback

Dmitry Smirnov onlyjob at member.fsf.org
Mon Sep 17 02:52:09 BST 2012

On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 22:20:47 Antoine Martin wrote:
> Thanks, will take a look.
> I am currently re-working the latency and quality knobs, aiming to make
> it choose suitable delays and quality in all cases, but it may be that
> we end up having to give the user control over the quality vs latency
> tradeoff, as a simple spinner in Firefox is often enough to skew the
> statistics..

Great but until it's proven to work well I think PNG encoding as default would
be better.

> > Thank you for the patch. I applied to both server and client but server
> > crashed in exactly the same way with the same error logged.
> > Anything else I can do to help?
>
> Hmm, I don't see how it is possible to get a 1x1 area with the patch
> applied, have you got a specific app that creates those 1x1 windows?
> (I can always cook one up, but would rather make sure I use the same one)

With patch applied I tested again and found that patch is actually may be
helping a bit at the cost of visual distortion of ~2...4 pixels at right hand
side of some windows. I tried to connect to two different xpra instances and
couldn't crash both of them by switching to 'VPX' encoding.

However third session where I have iceweasel, kmail and reportbug-ng running
is crashing reliably.

Regards,
Dmitry.