[winswitch] xpra issuses

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Sun Apr 14 18:06:57 BST 2013

On 04/07/2013 10:25 PM, Randy wrote:
> On Sunday, March 31, 2013, Antoine Martin wrote:
>> Wait, ... are you trying to use NX or Xpra sessions?
> xpra
> OK, so I started over.  I am using 2 machine, one is a laptop, the other a 
> desktop.  Both of these machine worked with each other before I upgaded from 
> the older version.  Both machines run debian wheezy 64 /w kde.  The desktop 
> (TV) is hardwired to my local network, the laptop (BumbleBee) uses wifi.  I am 
> able to ssh back and forth between machine manually with out issue and run gui 
> apps from cli.
> To start over I uninstalled both winswitch and xpra from both machines.  Then 
> I manually deleted the .winswitch and .xpra folders from users ~/user.  Then I 
> reinstalled both packages and reinstall the dependant packages from synaptic.  
> Neither machine has selinux installed.
> I have not modifed the default config except to enable debug.  I get no joy 
> trying to run apps remotly.  The servers seem to connect to each other 
> correctly.  I am able to remotly launch guvcview (webcam app) on the desktop 
> from the laptop, but I am still seeing the app briefly appear on the laptop 
> then dissapear with a popup message that I can not interpret.  I also don't 
> see that message text in the logs.
> If I go over to the desktop the app is there and I can reconnect to it and it 
> displays just fine locally.
> I have tared the config files and log files off both machine and they can be seen 
> at 
> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/trsi9d82yvsuuk0/yiXmoIi-jk  
> if you have issues reading them let me know and we can try something else.
> Thanks

Sorry for the late reply, I've skimmed through your log files and found
this in laptop/applet-20130406-224841.log:
[NULL @ 0x35ef8a0] Value 4686111960511545344.000000 for parameter 'b'
out of range
A process has ended with a probable error condition: process ended by
signal 6
Looks to me like there are problems with x264. I can tell you are using
x264 from this line in the server log:
2013-04-06 22:52:38,420 using x264 as primary encoding

You should be able to workaround this problem by defining another
default encoding, either in /etc/xpra/xpra.conf or in ~/.xpra/xpra.conf

I suspect this is yet-another problem caused by the API changes to
libav.. I accepted a patch to make it work with newer versions, which
seems to have caused endless problems with 99% of the versions currently
deployed instead.
I'll try to run a VM with wheezy/+-testing and see if I can reproduce.

I also found this in desktop/applet-20130406-225118.log:
2013-04-07 07:00:31,910 Password matches!
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wimpiggy/util.py", line 26, in
    return getattr(self, getter)(pspec.name)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wimpiggy/window.py", line 316,
in do_get_property_client_contents
    return self._composite.get_property("contents")
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'get_property'
2013-04-07 07:00:32,083 Connection lost
That's an odd one, but probably not the cause of your problems. I think
it is a consequence of it.
Looks like we're trying to make calls on a window which is not/no-longer

Have you got a screenshot or copy of the "popup message that I can not


More information about the shifter-users mailing list