[winswitch] Difficulty installing/running on Mac OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Arthur Zey arthur at deltawerx.com
Wed Aug 7 06:45:13 BST 2013

> *The* menu, since there is only one on OSX, that big thing that always
> sits at the top left of your screen!

I thought that might be what you meant, but there's nothing there.

on OSX and Linux:
> .winswitch/

A gzipped copy of that directory, which includes a few log files, is
available here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wog3aqyn2epn5z1/winswitch.tar.gz

I noticed a few references to a VirtualBox virtual machine that I have
installed (although I never told Windows-Switch about it, nor was the VM
running at any point during or after the installation). I wonder if that
could be causing some trouble. Could connected VNC sessions be messing with
the installation? I also saw a reference to that.

Let me know where the right place would be to file a ticket if neither you
nor anybody else on this thread can help with the log/config files.

Thank you yet again!

Best Regards,

Arthur Zey
Arthur at DeltaWerx.com
213-915-6442

On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 10:20 PM, Antoine Martin <antoine at nagafix.co.uk>wrote:

> [...]
>
>> On 07/08/13 06:00, Arthur Zey wrote:
>>
>>> Please forgive the elementary nature of this question, but most of my
>>> previous experience has been in Windows, and only about a year ago have I
>>> started really getting into Linux (Ubuntu), and only just within the last
>>> few weeks have I consistently started using a Mac as my primary computer.
>>>
>>> I've installed Windows-Switch on my Ubuntu 13.04 machine according to the
>>> instructions here:
>>> https://winswitch.org/downloads/debian-repository.html?dist_select=raring
>>>
>>> I followed up by running "sudo apt-get install xpra python-wimpiggy"
>>> (since
>>> "sudo apt-get upgrade" indicated that those packages could be upgraded,
>>> but
>>> it wouldn't do it automatically) before launching Windows-Switch from the
>>> application launcher (which I assume I won't have to do in the future,
>>> since it'll launch automatically on startup, right?),
>>>
>>  It should, though desktop environment changes can break things.
>> (and Ubuntu in particular)
>>
>>    and it went through
>>> the initial run process. I got a few error messages (something about
>>> having
>>> to do SSH tunneling and something about what I think was related to
>>> automatic discovery of clients), but I'm not worried about that quite
>>> yet.
>>>
>>  You should install the mDNS bits, without those you will have to connect
>> to your server by IP address which is tedious (and often changes between
>> restarts).
>> With mdns correctly installed, your client will see your server appear on
>> the network and connect to it automatically.
>>
>>  (Eventually, the program I expect to be using through this is Pidgin,
>>> but I
>>> don't have that up and running on this computer yet.) The point is that,
>>> unlike what I'll describe below on the Mac, the Ubuntu machine properly
>>> places a Windows-Switch icon in the Ubuntu equivalent of a system tray,
>>> as
>>> pictured here: https://winswitch.org/documentation/start.html
>>>
>>> The problem I'm having is on my primary laptop (which I ultimately want
>>> display the Pidgin process). I followed the instructions for Intel-based
>>> Macs here: http://winswitch.org/downloads/
>>>
>>> (My computer is a MacBook Pro Retina, running 10.8.4 on a 2.4 GHz Intel
>>> Core i7--is there any other information that would be diagnostically
>>> relevant?)
>>>
>>  That should be enough.
>>
>>  During the installation, I dragged the icon into the Applications folder,
>>> then launched it. After clicking "Open" on the obligatory
>>> are-you-sure-because-this-was-downloaded-from-the-interwebs! message, it
>>> put an icon on my dock and briefly displayed a notification saying that
>>> it
>>> was setting some stuff up for first use (like it did on the Ubuntu
>>> machine). However, it does not create an icon in my "system tray", as I
>>> expected (and as is pictured here:
>>> https://winswitch.org/documentation/start.html ).
>>>
>>  Those screenshots are out of date for OSX, newer versions use the global
>> menu to interact with the application instead of a tray icon.
>>
>>    Instead, the dock icon
>>> remains with a little light underneath it indicating that it's currently
>>> running. Clicking on the dock icon for Window-Switch does nothing, nor
>>> does
>>> it have any windows associated with it.
>>>
>>  Do you see anything in the global application menu?
>> There should be options there for connecting to servers and starting
>> apps.
>>
>>  Quitting and restarting the process
>>> makes no difference; neither does uninstalling and reinstalling it
>>> (which,
>>> on a Mac, I understand is accomplished merely by sending the item to
>>> Trash
>>> from the Applications folder, then re-copying it from the downloaded