[winswitch] xpra use case

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Sat Jan 5 11:18:05 GMT 2013

On 01/04/2013 09:53 PM, Neal Becker wrote:
> I'm confused about xpra use.
> In the example, in order to start the xterm I will need to ssh to the
> remote machine.  If this ssh is disconnected, xterm dies.
Then you should learn about nohup, screen, etc or use the --start-child
switch.
The home page has been updated to include an example:
http://xpra.org/

> My typical use would be start emacs on remote (via ssh).  Then disconnect
> and connect to it later.
Note: there are plans to implement:
xpra start ssh:HOST:DISPLAY --start-child=XYZ
So you won't even need to ssh initially.
Probably not for 0.8 (due soon) - unless someone else can write the
code, but the next release after that.

> Does xpra support this use?
Yes.

> On the machine which will export the application (xterm in this example):
>
> xpra start :100
> DISPLAY=:100 xterm
>
> For the simple case, we can then attach to this session from the same
> machine with:
>
> xpra attach :100
>
> If connecting from a remote machine, you would use something like:
>
> xpra attach ssh:serverhostname:100
That's all good.