[winswitch] trying out xpra/winswitch

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Sat Jan 5 11:27:05 GMT 2013

On 01/04/2013 07:47 PM, Neal Becker wrote:
> I have some info about 4.  It seems if I use xpra directly, the server
> started on the remote is using Xdummy driver, as per my xpra.conf.  But
> when started by winswitch, it is not.  Any ideas?
What versions have you got installed? What platform, distro, etc?
Old versions used to try to make xpra use Xdummy explicitly by
specifying the Xvfb command to use. But this is no longer the case, and
when winswitch launches xpra it will use the same configuration file as
when used from the command line?

> On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 8:30 PM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 4. emacs started manually on remote using xpra looks much nicer than emacs
>> started via winswitch.  I could send screenshots.
Quality is encoding related, it is quite possible that winswitch uses a
different encoding by default. Try holding launching your commands via
the full "Start Application" dialog, or by holding the "Shift" key as
you select the application from the start menu, these dialogs allow you
to select the encoding quality.
Or just compare once launched in the xpra tray menu.

>> On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 8:20 PM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Trying out latest on Fedora 17.
>>>
>>> 1. Which way to configure Xorg?  Right now I'm trying xvfb with the dummy
>>> driver:
>>> xvfb=/usr/bin/Xorg-nosuid -dpi 96 -noreset -nolisten tcp +extension GLX
>>> +extension RANDR +extension RENDER -logfile
>>> ${HOME}/.xpra/Xorg.${DISPLAY}.log -config /etc/xpra/xorg.conf
/etc/xpra.conf
Should have examples for both Xvfb and Xdummy. What is enabled depends
on your distro. If Xdummy is not chosen, chances are that your distro is
too old to support it adequately.

>>> This seems to look nice on emacs.  But I wonder if this is the "best"
>>> option?  One thing is, it seems RANDR extension is reported as missing.
>>>  For example, running xrandr --verbose from within emacs reports that.
As per:
http://xpra.org/Xdummy.html
Xdummy is the way forward and there are a number of unfixable bugs when
using Xvfb without randr.

>>> 2. winswitch works, but if I try to start a remote desktop session it
>>> works with xpra, but not NX.  I believe it said something about ssh server
>>> not forwarding?
Details please. Platform, versions, etc. Log files?

>>> 3. In winswitch, if I try to start a different size desktop session, it
>>> does not change size.  Probably related to RANDR missing?
What protocol are you using for your desktop session? NX? VNC? Xpra?