[winswitch] minimum bandwidth where xpra still stays usable?

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Thu Jul 11 11:47:10 BST 2013

On 11/07/13 16:16, Timo Juhani Lindfors wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I normally use xpra either over 100 Mbps ethernet or 10 Mbps/10 Mbps
> VDSL2. However, last weekend I tested it over 2 Mbps / 512 kbps cable
> modem (I was accessing my home machine over it when the VDSL2 was
> down). I found it to be unusable for even gnome-terminal usage. System
> monitor showed that bandwidth usage was peaking at 512 kbps for 8-15
> seconds when I for example run a command in the terminal.
Which encoding were you testing?
If it was a lossy one, have you tried increasing the auto-refresh delay
so lossless frames don't fire too often?
"xpra info" can give us some details, in the upcoming 0.10 release, this
will include all the details needed to analyze the bandwidth tuning.

> What are your experiences?
It certainly was usable before, and there is no reason why it shouldn't
still work ok.
However, we may have erred on the side of LAN usage, so we may have to
revisit the heuristics to ensure it still works well over slower
connections.
> I think I used to be able to cope with this with "--encoding jpeg
> --quality 15" in the past but this is no longer supported in xpra.
How so? jpeg encoding is still supported and so is the quality setting.
That said, jpeg encoding is terrible, you should be using x264 instead.