[winswitch] Xpra Ubuntu 13.04 poor quality and speed on local network

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Thu Jul 11 17:32:04 BST 2013

On 11/07/13 22:54, John Beavers wrote:
> I updated my Ubuntu from 12.04 to 13.04 (via 12.10...), and got Xpra
> v0.9.6 installed and working between 2 ubuntus. However, it is very
> slow and ugly on the local network. I've connected with winswitch,
> xpra-launch, and $ xpra attach ssh:...:100, all the same.
>
> There was some problem with X after installation of 13.04, and X
> sometimes gives errors when starting Xpra. Some errors were about
> permissions, and such (I can't remember the exact errors, but they
> were about /dev/tty0 does not exist, can't open console 8 (permission
> denied), etc). I fixed those by setting the suid bit on Xorg. Then, X
> wouldn't start because it said the -logfile option can't be used with
> elevated privileges. So, I removed the -logfile part from xpra.conf,
> then it didn't like the location of xpra's xorg.conf file. It said it
> needed to be in a relative directory, so I put it under /etc/X11 and
> got it to read it.
Sounds like something has changed in 13.04, yet again.
I'll try to take a look and figure out how to get Xdummy going on this
latest Ubuntu.
Note: you do not need suid with Xdummy - that is the point, see:
http://xpra.org/trac/wiki/Xdummy

> Finally got xpra started on the server and connected, but, like I
> said, it's very ugly and slow, and the mouse doesn't point to the
> correct locations, etc. If I forward X through ssh, it looks great and
> works well, but I'd love to be able to keep my session going, so I'd
> like xpra to work.
Please give us more details, see:
http://xpra.org/trac/wiki/ReportingBugs

> Most recently, if I start xpra, stop it, and try to start it again, I
> get this:
> Fatal server error:
> failed to create screen resources
Probably another 13.04 / X11 related breakage.