[winswitch] xpra issuses

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Sat Mar 30 11:35:20 GMT 2013

On 03/29/2013 08:19 PM, Randy wrote:
> I recently install winswitch on 2 debian wheezy machines and I am having
> issues getting apps to move to/from either of those 2 machines to the other
> tow machine on my local network.    Two of the machines work together
> flawlessly, they were both install quite some time ago.  The 2 most recient
> installs (last 3 months) don't work at all with the older installs.  They also
> don't work with each other, although the apps will briefly open remotly before
> they close, but on the older installs they don't open at all.  Only 1 machine
> in the older pair has an active firewall, neither of the newer do.
>
> The 2 machines that work together have these versions
> xpra 		0.3.11+dfsg-1
> winswitch	0.12.18-1
> both are 64bit
xpra 0.3.x is broken and unsupported, and may well cause problems when
connecting to/from newer versions.
> The 2 machines that will not work with any other
> xpra		0.8.8
> winswitch	0.12.18-1
> one is 64bit the other 32
>
> I do not understand why the machines with the older version of xpra install
> have not been updated to 0.8.8  I am very patictular about keeping my machines
> updated.  All the machines have the same repo for winswitch set up in
> sources.list so why has "apt-get upgrade" not udated xpra to 0.8.8  I have not
> pinned it and my default version is testing.
Sorry, I have no idea.
My test wheezy systems do get the updates.
> I have looked at the logs in ~/.winswitch/...... and don't see any thing that
> tells me why it is failling.
>
> On the 2 machines that don't work the app will launch locally and remotely,
> but it will only display locally.  It seams to be problem with xpra and not
> winswitch its self.  I hesitate to force the update of xpra on the two older
> installs and have it brake that fuctionality untill I can get the other two
> working together.
Does the session terminate completely? (no longer shown in the tray menu)
If so, then something is telling winswitch that the application has
terminated and winswitch closes the session.
The "session debugging" documentation may help you to solve this.