[winswitch] xpra issuses

Randy thejunk.b at gmail.com
Thu May 2 12:31:17 BST 2013

On Thursday, May 02, 2013, Antoine Martin wrote:
> (snip)
>
> > So I finally got a chance to play with xpra a little.  To start with
> > there was an update so I installed it.  Now I at least get a properly
> > titled window on the remote host.  When it first launched guvcviewer I
> > had the control window and the camera window.  The control window was
> > fully populated but the camera window was blank.  As soon as I tried to
> > use the controls the window went white.  Trying to close either window
> > fails, eventually the kde window manager asks if you want to force
> > close.  Forcing the window closed from the winswitch menu seams to close
> > the session but leaves the windows open.
>
> Hmm, that's odd. Looks like something has crashed.
>
> > I tried to get a screen shot of the error that use to pop up but it did
> > not show up this time.
> >
> > Short pause for dinner and some honey-do's.
> >
> > Next I tried launching gimp remotly.  This time it acted just like
> > before.  I was able to get a screen shot of the error.
>
> Can we see it?

Opps, sorry.  I thought the link below at the bottom would get you to where
the image files and log files are.  Try this one instead.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/trsi9d82yvsuuk0/WXaUEeJr2z/winswitch

> > Then I changed the default seamless session type to nx on the desktop,
> > but not via the config files, and tried again, same results.  Looking at
> > the information menu item for the session it showed the session type as
> > xpra.  So I rechecked the settings and confirmed that I had successfully
> > changed it, and yes.  So I restarted winswitch.  Then I went to the
> > laptop and changed the default session type to nx and restarted
> > winswitch there too.  The I relaunched guvcviewer with the same results
> > as before, captured the error in a screenshot.  I then checked the menu
> > info item and it still shows the session type as xpra, hmmm.  I
> > reconfirmed that the settings are set to nx and grabbed some screenshots
> > for you of the destop setup.
>
> Hmmm, that seems overly complicated:
> * you can change the settings from the UI, can you not? No need to
> restart then.
> * there are global settings as well as per-server settings, maybe you
> only changed the former?
>
> > Apps started locally via winswitch are displayed correctly.
> >
> > Vbox wm's can be moved between machines successfully, although starting
> > them remotly does not seem to work correctly.  The vm is started but not
> > displayed remotly untill it is fully up and then moved to the remote
> > machine.  Not a big issue at this time for me.
>
> Right, we're probably trying to connect to it before it is ready.
>
> > So I decided a complete restart was in order on both machines.  After the
> > rebooot I have a guvcviewer menu item that is not movable nor openable on
> > either machine.
>
> guvcviewer is doing some video stuff, it may try to bypass the
> compositor (xpra) to get the video onscreen and therefore may not work
> properly.
> I will try it when I get a chance.
>
> > So to avoid confilct with that session I tried launching K3b (cd burning
> > app) and it failed as before.
>
> Which is?

Briefly open, then crash and popup a crash report with a bunch of numbers and
letters.

> >  And checking the session type in the info menu item
> > shows that it is still using xpra and not nx.  Looking at the desktop
> > server settings from the laptop shows that it is set to use xpar, but
> > looking at the server setting on the desktop shows it set to nx.  But if
> > I go to the server tab it the setings and right click on the desktop
> > server and check the settings there they show xpra as the seamless
> > default and it can not be changed, hmmmm.  I was able to capture the
> > screen error.
>
> My head just exploded.
> * use the start application dialog instead, it lets you choose a lot
> more options, including the session type
> * or hold the "special" key ("Shift" by default) when you select an app
> in the start menu, which will bring a dialog similar to the "start
> application dialog" and includes protocol selection (xpra, nx..)

Even using the "special" key or the start application dialog I am not able to
select any other sesion type, they seam not to exist.

> > As I mentioned at the start the only thing that has been changed is that
> > I updated xpra before this round of debugging.
> >
> > What else can I try to assist you?
> >
> > Oh yea, I did disable the firewalls after the reboot to be sure they were
> > not the problem.
> >
> > Autolaunch is enabled on the desktop but not on the laptop.
> >
> > I also noted that when looking at the available servers on the desktop,
> > the desktop server does not have ssh capablities, yet I ssh in and out
> > of the desktop all the time, and I can successfully connect to it via
> > winswitch.  It just does not seam to have ssh with its self.
>
> Your server log will probably tell you that your ssh configuration does
> not allow "SSH X11 forwarding".
>
> > OK. After rereading the instructions you sent me I discovered that I was
> > not doing as you requested.  Guess I should not rely on my memory so
> > much.
> >
> > I have looked at the xpra.conf files and can not find anywhere that x264
> > encoding is set.  A hardcoded defalut? The attached configs are as they
> > exist before I enable a different encoding.  From /etc/xpra/xpra.conf
> >
> > # Default encoding (not all encodings may be available in your
> > environment): #encoding = x264
> > #encoding = vpx
> > #encoding = png
> > #encoding = jpeg
> > #encoding = rgb24
> > #encoding = webp
> >
> > is there one that would be better or worse?  Png seams to work fine.
>
> https://www.xpra.org/trac/wiki/Encodings
>
> > After resting winswitch on both the laptop and the desktop I still have
> > the old guvcviewer menu entry.  How do I make it go away?
>
> xpra list
> xpra stop :NNNNN
> (or just kill it)

thanks

--
Randy Batterbee

Take a trip with Torah and find out who you really are.

Open Source & Linux
if it ain't broke tweak it
you can always reinstall
and it's free