[winswitch] secure clipboard syncing?

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Sun Oct 6 09:48:27 BST 2013

On 06/10/13 15:05, Timo Juhani Lindfors wrote:
> Antoine Martin <antoine at nagafix.co.uk> writes:
>> You seem to misunderstand how the X11 clipboard works: what is
>> synchronized is not the clipboard contents themselves, but the ownership
>> of the clipboard selection.
> Do you mean "primary selection" here? I use
No. There are 3 types of selections, and this applies to all 3.

Sorry I should have been clearer.
The OP's question was about:

> It might be a useful security enhancement to have a third option for the
> clipboard syncinc besides on and off: Sync only on request.

And maybe I misunderstand what this "sync only on request" would do.

Of course when using an application (like the xclip example you posted),
the application can request the actual contents of the clipboard
whenever it feels like it.
The point I was trying to make is that by then it is a little too late:
returning empty data at that point would be anti-social and would
unnecessarily cripple the clipboard behaviour at both ends.