[winswitch] A simple script to get started with xpra on Ubuntu

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Sun Aug 3 15:37:58 BST 2014

On 03/08/14 21:12, Richard F wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have tried to get started with xpra, but it looks harder than just doing
>
>> xpra start ssh:rich:100 --start-child=firefox
> because I keep getting the message
>
> Warning: running as root
This warning should not be ignored lightly.
There is no reason for running xpra as root, and many reasons not to.
>> /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:57: GtkWarning:
>> could not open display
>>   warnings.warn(str(e), _gtk.Warning)
>> /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/xpra/client/gtk2/__init__.py:7:
>> GtkWarning: IA__gdk_screen_get_root_window: assertion 'GDK_IS_SCREEN
>> (screen)' failed
>>   from xpra.x11.gtk_x11 import gdk_display_source
>> 2014-08-03 10:09:33,963 failed load posix keyboard bindings: display is
>> not set!
>> xpra main exception: display is not set!
I've just tried doing this against a Debian host and it failed to
connect to the session for some reason, which I will investigate.
However, just re-attaching to it afterwards worked, ie:
xpra attach ssh:rich:100

Your problem may well be different though.
Not being able to connect to the display is usually the sign of
something more fundamental.
Are you sure root has access to the display? (and again, do you really
want to be doing that?)
> I would like to pay you to write me a script that will start Firefox in an
> xpra server on Ubuntu 14.04 server. Please contact me if you can help me
> out with this.
>
> I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 32-bit on my VPS.
Please include the xpra version number and anything else that might be
relevant.
More general bug reporting guidelines can be found here:
http://xpra.org/trac/wiki/ReportingBugs