[winswitch] How to use "randr" to resize the desktop?

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Sat Dec 27 17:35:09 GMT 2014

Please don't top post.

On 28/12/14 00:25, Heng Zhou wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. So RandR only works at the server side (because
> window manage runs at server side); resizing at client side does not
> work, right?
Sort of. RandR has nothing to do with the window manager.
You can't resize client-side because the xpra protocol does not support
it yet.
> But after I run the following commands at the server side:
>
> (1) xpra start :100
> (2) sudo DISPLAY=:100 Xnest +extension RANDR :200 -ac -geometry
> 800x600+24 &
> (3) Use Xpra Launcher to connect to the server. A 800x600 Xpra window
> comes out.
> (4) sudo DISPLAY=:200 metacity &
> There is an error: "Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display ":200"."
> (5) sudo DISPLAY=:200 gnome-settings-daemon &
> (6) sudo DISPLAY=:200 gnome-panel &
> The GNOME Panel desktop environment appears
> (7) sudo DISPLAY=:200 xrandr --size 1024x768
Xdummy supports RandR, Xvfb does not, hence the error.

And don't run everything root...

> , I received an error: "RandR extension missing" and the size of the
> Xpra window containing the whole desktop is unchanged.
Like the error says...

> I don't know what is the matter. I also tried "sudo DISPLAY=:100
> xrandr --size 1024x768" but nothing is changed. It seems that the
> RANDR extension is not enabled on display :200 (or :100? I don't
> know), but how should I enable it?
By using Xdummy instead of Xvfb.
> I have already include the +extension RANDR option in step (2). Should
> I install some other packages? The server is running ubuntu 14.04.
And here is your problem again.

> Looking forward to your further clarification.
Let's just make it crystal clear: Ubuntu is creating all these problems,
either move away from it or be prepared to solve those problems on your own.