[winswitch] NVENC developer key?

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Mon Jun 16 05:55:04 BST 2014

> Quick update on this: NVidia's contempt for Linux users continues unabated.
> The latest Linux drivers still require a license key to function with
> consumer cards, not only that but they have also changed those keys
> during the stable updates to their drivers: the latest 331 and 334
> drivers now require different keys than they did before.
> With the 337 branch it is even worse: the newer keys are accepted, but
> the API has changed and so the codec needs to be rebuilt against the
> newer API headers, which have not been released yet.. So this one is a
> complete no go at present.
> It also means that the nvenc codec in xpra is actually tied to specific
> versions of the drivers, which is another system maintenance headache.
Slight correction:
* it is the 340 branch that breaks the API and looks like it will need a
new SDK
* the 337 branch does run, but breaks the YUV444 mode, so we now disable
support for it when this driver version is detected.
I have summarized this nvidia driver mess here:
http://xpra.org/trac/ticket/595#comment:1

Antoine