[winswitch] more experimentation on openSuSE 13.1

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Fri Apr 24 13:25:50 BST 2015

On 24/04/15 06:53, basd wrote:
> Antoine, please let me know if I am sending too many posts.
Not problem at all.
Sorry about the slow response, due in part to the fact that I was hoping
someone else could chime in.
>   If there are other openSuSE users out
> there, they may be interested in my progress (or lack thereof).
Indeed.
> New developments in my troubleshooting:
>
> 1. I implemented xinetd to get the remote VNC system working independently of Winswitch.  This is
> working nicely. However, it may be interfering with winswitch launch of vnc sessions, since they no
> longer work.
It shouldn't be able to interfere, but that's possible.
> 2. I tracked down some dependencies I *thought* I had already installed.  One new development after
> installing these is that winswitch_applet now identifies the server physical desktop and offers the
> option to make an xpra copy.of it.  The xpra copy worked on the remote, although either this or
> launching a VNC copy crashed my server desktop.
That sound like a serious issue with your OS setup.
Neither VNC nor xpra should be able to crash the desktop by shadowing it.
They're both userspace applications with no special privileges, and Xorg
is usually a root app.
> 3. We previously discussed libwebp5.  My openSuSE 13.1 only offers libwebp4.  I don't know if the
> libwebp5 requirement came from the xpra sources or if I created the issue by building my rpm on
> openSuSE 13.2.  In any event, I installed the 13.2 version of libwebp5 and winswitch quit
> complaining about that dependency.  I suppose it would make sense to rebuild xpra on openSuSE 13.1
> to see if any problems are eliminated.
Xpra will build against both versions. Newer is better.
It should be built on the same release as what it gets deployed on.
> 4. I can't find an rpm to provide typelib(AppIndicator).  I get a prompt of "no module
> appindicator". OpenSuSE 13.2 has typelib(AppiIndicator3).  Can we use AppIndicator3 or does the
> dependency require AppIndicator?  AppIndicator seems to be obsolete.  In any event, neither version
> is available for openSuSE 13.1.  I can get AppIndicator3 if I import a number of dependencies from
> openSuSE 13.2.
Unless you're using Ubuntu's Unity desktop, avoid this like the plague.
We don't require it at all, but in order to be able to display a tray
menu on Ubuntu, we try to see if it is present.