[winswitch] new kde system tray

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Thu Aug 27 07:06:28 BST 2015

On 26/08/15 22:17, Randy wrote:
> I reciently had kde 4.15.04.3-1 pushed to my machines in Debian Testing
> (Stretch) among other issues, like the lib's not being pushed at the same
> time, winswitch does not dock in the system tray.  In fact after launching
> it, and it does connect to the other instances ok, it never shows up
> anywhere. "Bummer"  So it is quite useless.
For situations like this one (gnome shell and others), you can try the
windowed menu alternative:
winswitch_applet --window-notray
It's not very pretty, but it works.

I am afraid I don't have KDE 4.15 installed anywhere, so don't hold your
breath for a fix.
>  On a side note, I keep my taskbar docked on the left side of the screen
> because my laptop has more relestate in width than height.  Historaclly
> when I would click on the winswitch icon on the left the dropdown menu
> would appear on the very right side of the screen.  Somewhat anoying.
> Could that be fixed when you get the system tray fixed again?
The code for the system tray used on Linux is found here:
http://winswitch.org/trac/browser/trunk/winswitch/ui/statusicon_tray.py
And the BaseTray superclass function is in here:
http://winswitch.org/trac/browser/trunk/winswitch/ui/tray_util.py#L185
We use the regular gtk.status_icon_position_menu function - aren't other
applications affected by this problem?