[winswitch] Clarifrication regarding Xinerama

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Wed Jan 28 16:48:08 GMT 2015

On 28/01/15 23:35, Lukas Haase wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Based on my bug report (http://xpra.org/trac/ticket/798) I am confused by Xinerama and want to resolve my misunderstanding before continuing with the bug report.
>
> When exactly would I need Xinerama?
If you use more than one monitor on your client computer.
> In my setup, I usually have a Linux xpra server and connect via Windows clients where the Windows clients usually have multiple displays which dynamically change (Laptop with different docking stations on different external monitors or no external monitor at all).
Then it is probably a good idea to use it.
> As I understand I did not use Xinerama at all - so far.
If it is installed and you use --start-child, you are using it.
You can check it from an xterm running within xpra with:
env | grep LD_PRELOAD
> So do I need Xinerama in this setup?
Yes.
>  Do I want it?
Yes.
>  Why?
So applications running on the server will get the monitor geometry that
matches that of the client.
Maximize, fullscreen and other geometry functionality is much more
likely to work correctly if applications are given the right hints.
> Second, do I understand correctly that the fakelibXinerama is included automatically in the stable CentOS repositories?
It is.