[winswitch] speaker-restart during video play in xpra 0.15

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Fri Jun 5 22:35:08 BST 2015

On 05/06/15 20:57, Jiang Qian wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 5:15 AM, Antoine Martin <antoine at nagafix.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 05/06/15 03:52, Jiang Qian
>> Has anything changed in 0.15 with regards to DPI?
>> I am not aware of changes that should have affected it.
> DPI is probably my own fault. I have some legacy options, from back in
> the days when the full screen didn't work because I was't using
> xdummy, and only a manual setting of --dpi=110 on both server and
> client seems to fix it. It's unnecessary after shifting to xdummy, but
> it didn't cause any harm, until I upgraded to 0.15, when it caused the
> widgets in the forwarded windows to be blurry and big. Removing --dpi
> option fixed it.
Oh, that's odd.
I'll have to check that too, setting the DPI to 110 should not cause
such problems.
>>> I am settling happily to xpra 0.15 (both server and
>>> client, both on Ubuntu 14.04) They are connected over unencrypted raw
>>> tcp stream.
>>>
>>> I am puzzled by one behavior. I am forwarding sound, using the
>>> encoding Wavpak. (--speaker-code=wavepak) When I play an extended
>>> video clips, I got a large number of (about 2-3 in row, sometimes)
>>> re-starting speaker because of overrun.
>>>
>>> So far, aside from the fact that the audio is slight out of sync from
>>> the video, there seems to be no adverse consequences.
>> overruns are annoying but they should be harmless.
>> Until 0.16 is ready for testing, I would suggest not using wavpack,
>> which is just not very well suited for our use case.
>> Stick with mp3, flac or even just wav if you have bandwidth to spare.
>>
> Ahh! That's where the confusion comes in! I thought wavpack is the
> uncompressed audio! It turns out that I should be using wav all along,
> as I have plenty of bandwidth to spare! Thanks for this clarification!
> I'll try it out and see how it goes!
Be aware that you may also hit similar issues with wavpack, as only mp3
gets widely tested since it is the default.
In 0.16, the plan is to get them all synced up with the video, so they
will all get more thoroughly tested.
> Along with the developer of recoll, a fulltext indexing program I use,
> you are the most responsive and helpful software developlers I seek
> help with. Thank you for the extremely useful piece of software and
> for being so courteous and helpful!
Thank you, much appreciated.

Antoine

PS: always CC the list.