[winswitch] Xpra Client Memory Footprint

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Mon Nov 9 07:46:40 GMT 2015

On 07/11/15 23:07, Abdulaziz M. Aldarrab wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Upon start, each client instance is using between 70-80MB of memory
> (excluding plink) and could reach 130MB just by using kwrite and opening
> multiple files. Is there a way to reduce it?
Not easily I am afraid.
Though if you create a ticket, I'll try to look into it again.
Doing the same thing on my 1080p XP virtual machine I see a memory usage
of just 50MB using the task manager's "Mem Usage".
The "VM size" is lower.
> Running 10+ applications would consume about 1GB of ram. I'm even disabling
> mic, speaker & tray icon options.
Disabling sound is the biggest saving there, the rest will be barely
noticeable.
Using OpenGL rendering will use video ram (PBOs) for the window buffers
instead of main system memory.

I haven't tested this yet, but I believe that this should not always add
the same amount of memory for each copy of the client:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms681938(v=vs.85).aspx
" Multiple processes that load the same DLL at the same base address
share a single copy of the DLL in physical memory. Doing this saves
system memory and reduces swapping"
All the DLLs we load should be re-using the same memory addresses.