[winswitch] issue with forwarding x to a lower res monitor from a virtual Xvfb

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Thu Nov 19 16:14:11 GMT 2015

On 17/11/15 20:25, Zenny wrote:
> Thanks again.
>
> The only bottleneck remained is refreshing the display in the client
> (not matter which encoding or quality is used).  Please note that it
> is with Xvfb (not Xdummy). When display change takes place, say a
> slide in libreoffice impress, only a quarter of display changes in
> client running at (1920x1080), while the screecapture from the virtual
> X server running in 4K is okay.
>
> I start xpra server like:
> $ XPRA_RANDR=0 xpra start --use-display :10 --sync-xvfb=50
> --bind-tcp=localhost:10000
>
> and xpra client like:
> $ xpra attach tcp:localhost:10000:10 --desktop-scaling=0.5
> --sync-xvfb=50 --opengl=no --encoding=jpeg --quality=85
>
> Appreciate if there is any inputs on automatically refresh the full
> screen (not just quarter of the screen) in xpra client.
Just a final message to close this thread - I hope.
We continued to debug this issue in a ticket:
http://xpra.org/trac/ticket/1036

And the requested feature now works as expected, even with OpenGL
disabled, etc.
The important points being:
* a recent 0.16 build is required for the features below (and a few bugs
were found in the process)
* "XPRA_RANDR=0" to keep the server's Xvfb at its starting resolution
(or you have to ensure the desktop-scaling value will give the desired
resolution on the server side)
* "sync-xvfb" enabled to actually paint window updates on the virtual screen
* "desktop-scaling" to make the server's screen size fit on to the client