[winswitch] How to send file from server and from client (html5 client)

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Mon Dec 5 14:45:24 GMT 2016

On 01/12/16 23:05, Eric Grammatico via shifter-users wrote:
> Hi There,
>
> I am testing xpra-1.0-0.20161125r14490 and my setup is the following:
> XPRA_SERVER
> XPRA_PROXY
> XPRA_HTML5
>
> I try to send a file from the server to the client, I expect the client will open a new windows or propose to download as it does for printing.
> Unfortunately I have no clue how to achieve that. From the man page I learnt I could have some help from xpra control. Thus I launched from server:
> $> xpra control :100 help send-file
> control command 'send-file': sends the file to the client(s)
>
> Ok, so I launched:
> $> xpra control :100 send-file /etc/bashrc
> server returned error code 127
>  at least 3 arguments required
>  'send-file': sends the file to the client(s)
>
> With a bit of investigation I found the first argument is the file path and the third argument is the client.uuid, but no clue about the second argument. So I tried the following (blitz is just to avoid wrong number of arguments error, don't know what it's supposed to do with):
> $> xpra control :100 send-file /etc/bashrc blitz 9fc059c462eca4f10b2e641f5b9cda38
> send file of '/etc/bashrc' to 9fc059c462eca4f10b2e641f5b9cda38 initiated
I have added some documentation on the wiki:
http://xpra.org/trac/wiki/FileTransfers#Usage

And I have also improved the command line:
http://xpra.org/trac/changeset/14497
So the simpler form will now also be accepted:
xpra control :100 send-file /path/to/the-file-to-send

> But nothing happend on client side.
The client should print something like this:
downloaded 11013 bytes to temporary file:
 '/home/antoine/Downloads/Xpra07-4.png'

And if "open-files" is enabled, it should also open the file. That is,
unless you also set the open flag (now optional) to false on the
"send-file" xpra control command line.

If "open-files" is disabled on the client, then the server should print:
Warning: opening the file after transfer is disabled on the remote end

> The xpra_server says:
> 2016-12-01 16:00:09,627 New unix-domain connection received on /var/run/rdisp/.xpra/xappdisp_eric-100
> 2016-12-01 16:00:56,445 New unix-domain connection received on /var/run/rdisp/.xpra/xappdisp_eric-100
The server does not print any messages unless the debug flag "-d file"
is used. You may want to turn that on to figure out why the file is not
getting sent.

> and the xpra_proxy says nothing.
The proxy may or may not print this warning depending on the size of the
data:
found a large uncompressed item in packet 'send-file-chunk'...
This spurious warning in the proxy has now been removed:
http://xpra.org/trac/changeset/14498

Here's a simple end-to-end working example with the proxy
* start a server:
xpra start --start=xterm :100
* start an unsecured proxy server:
xpra proxy --bind-tcp=0.0.0.0: :200 --auth=none
* optional step: enable "open-files":
sudo sed -i'' 's/open-files = no/open-files=yes/'
/etc/xpra/conf.d/15_file_transfers.conf
* attach a client via the proxy:
xpra attach tcp:localhost
* send a file to the server (which will go through the proxy)
xpra control :100 send-file $HOME/Xpra01.png

At that point, the image should be in the "Downloads" folder of the
client, and it will appear in an image viewer if "open-files" is true.

If you still have problems, you should try to get things working without
the proxy first, then add the proxy to the mix.
Make sure you add "-d file" for debugging issues.

> Please, could you explain how to tranfert files from server to html5 client and vice versa ?
The HTML5 client only supports file-transfers for printing: only PDF files..
Adding support for more generic file downloads is planned.