[winswitch] cutting and pasting with Centos 6 and Mac OSX 10.11.3

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Thu Feb 25 07:08:02 GMT 2016

On 25/02/16 11:18, Todd Thompson wrote:
> Are there any particular tips or tricks for getting cutting and
> pasting to work with this combination? The closed bugs make it seem
> like this *should* work, and yet it doesn't. I'm new to xpra in
> general, so I could be missing something obvious, but I've spent a few
> hours poking around in forums and nothing seems terribly awry...
>
> Here's the procedure I've been using:
>
> On Centos box:
> xpra start :314 --start-child=xterm
>
> Using mac app, connect to remote host display :314 through SSH port
> 22. The xterm appears, but the standard cut/paste don't appear to
> transfer text in either direction.
How do you copy stuff to and from this xterm?
If you are using your mouse to drag and select text, this goes into the
"primary" clipboard buffer not the "clipboard" buffer, which does not
exist on OSX and is therefore not synchronized at all.
I've just tested with "xclip -selection clipboard" and it does get
synchronized fine here from / to OSX.

On MS Windows, we have the same limitation (only a single "clipboard" to
synchronize against), but we already have a tray menu for selecting
which remote clipboard we synchronize with, see:
http://xpra.org/trac/ticket/966#comment:6
The same code could very easily be used on OSX, it "just" needs a bit of
coding for adding this menu to the mac menu bar.

(PS: stay on the IRC channel long enough to get an answer next time)