[winswitch] black rectangle

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Mon Jun 6 07:07:07 BST 2016

(snip)
>     > to xpra_0.15.10-1_amd64.deb & Xpra_Setup_0.16.3-r12203.exe
>     The 0.16.x branch is no longer supported.
>
>     > i also realized that just updating the Winsdows client wouldn't do the
>     > trick, I hsad to upgrade both sides.
>     That should not be the case, all supported versions should be compatible
>     with each other. That said, beta versions may cause unwanted breakage.
>
>     In this case: 0.15.x server with a 0.18.0beta client works fine here.
>     Please provide more details.
>

> I would still use 0.15.10 on  the server and try to connect to it using
> the upgraded Windows client 0.18.0-r12647
> The client wouldn't let me connect, It asked for the password but then
> threw me right back to the xpra client giving me an error that it's
> unable to connect (sorry missing the exact terminology of the red
> caption here).
Assuming that you are using SSH mode: since Windows does not provide any
SSH clients we can use for transport, we ship putty / plink.

In versions 0.17.x onwards, we bundle a newer version of putty which
fixes compatibility with newer version of OpenSSH. (this is only used
with Windows-7 onwards, XP is stuck with the old version of putty)

It is possible that this update causes other compatibility issues.

You should be able diagnose this by running from the Xpra_cmd command
line tool - which will print more messages, or by connecting from a
non-MSWindows client, or looking at your ssh server's log file.