[winswitch] RANDR missing on display (on meld launch)

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Thu Mar 31 06:03:32 BST 2016

On 31/03/16 01:07, Ron Eggler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running terminator on a Ubuntu 14.04 machine over Xpra on Windows. Now
> when I'm trying to launch an application like meld, it fails to launch and
> I get the below output. Any hints on how I can get this going?
> $ meld&
> [1] 26843
Please include the full command lines.
It isn't clear at all how you launched this application within an xpra
session.

> ron at jpax-build07:~$ Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display ":13".
You want Xdummy to have RandR:
http://xpra.org/trac/wiki/Xdummy
But Ubuntu breaks their Xorg packages - if you really want RandR, don't
use Ubuntu.

> Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-3IBnMEyz6K: Connection refused
(snip)
That's a dbus failure. Maybe launch xpra like so:
dbus-launch xpra start ....
0.17 will make this automatic.

Note: if you run from an existing desktop session, or via sudo/su, etc,
you may encounter problems. Best way is to launch as a separate user,
one that does not have any other concurrent desktop environment session.