[winswitch] How do I use xpra as a substitute for a remote desktop like VNC or X2go?

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Tue Oct 11 12:33:01 BST 2016

On 11/10/16 14:09, vfclists . via shifter-users wrote:
> ------------------------------
>
>> On 09/10/16 21:36, vfclists . via shifter-users wrote:
>>> I have been getting some problems using the KDE Plasma 5 desktop on Debian
>>> Stretch/Sid using x2go and VNC on I want to try xpra instead.
>>>
>>> If I want to run an XFCE or Gnome session for instance, how do I start the
>>> xpra instance on the server? I have been able to get sessions going and I
>>> can run individual sessions in them, but how do I run desktops themselves?
>>>
>> The best way is using the current pre-release (http://xpra.org/beta):
>> xpra start-desktop ssh/$HOST --start-child=xterm --exit-with-children
>
>> From that xterm you can then launch the KDE session (whatever the launch
>> command for that is - I do not know). Once that works, you can replace
>> that command in the "start-child" command line argument.
>
>> Cheers
>> Antoine
>
> In regard to your earlier response I prefer to stick to stable releases
> rather than use betas. Is it still possible in the current stable release?
You may be able to use Xephyr or Xnest to get a VNC-like display, but
this will not work very well at all in the stable branch. (bad
performance, keyboard and many other bugs, etc).

> I don't mind it if is more difficult I am willing to give it a try and
> learn it more in depth
In that case, I recommend the latest beta builds: the knowledge gained
will be much more useful since the "start-desktop" solution will
actually work well and it will be supported.