[winswitch] Question about Xpra, OpenGL, and Xming-Mesa

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Fri Dec 1 01:35:36 GMT 2017

On 01/12/17 01:11, Michael Segev via shifter-users wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My situation is as follows:
>
> I'm currently on a Windows 10 machine that has Xpra, Xming-Mesa (Xming with
> OpenGL support), and PuTTY installed. I am trying to run a GUI java app
> that uses OpenGL on a remote Linux (Ubuntu 16.04) machine and have it
> display back on my PC using Xpra.
>
> I can successfully run the application when I just use Xming-mesa. However,
> when I add Xpra into the equation, the GUI java app fails to start and
> throws this error:
>
>  OpenGL: ~~ERROR~~ RuntimeException: No OpenGL context found in the current
> thread
>
> But if i shut down the Xpra server and just connect using Xming-mesa, the
> application starts fine; so I'm somehow inclined to believe that there is
> some conflict here involving Xpra and OpenGL.
>
> Any advice you could provide to fix this would be greatly appreciated.
The easiest way is to add "+extension GLX" to your xvfb command line in
/etc/xpra/conf.d/55_server_x11.conf
This will be the default for Ubuntu 16.04 in the upcoming 2.2 release.
This solution is not accelerated.

For more options, including OpenGL acceleration see:
https://xpra.org/trac/wiki/Usage/OpenGL