[winswitch] HTML start-desktop crash

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Thu Feb 9 05:09:24 GMT 2017

On 08/02/17 23:42, Berdonces Bonelo, Erik via shifter-users wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I’m trying to run a full desktop (I have tried KDE and Unity so far), in order to manage remotely a server.
> At the moment I have this running as a VM in VirtualBox  + VBox Addons in my computer (I hope it isn’t this interfering somehow…).
It will interfere with the clipboard if both Xpra and VirtualBox try to
synchronize it, this is known to cause system crashes.

> I’ve been trying with Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 16.04, Kubuntu 16.04 and CentOS 7. In all of them I’ve installed the latest release from the Winswitch repository (at the moment 1.0.2).
>
> Anyways, whenever I start an xpra session,  either if I start it from the client or HTML5 client, the transmitted desktop is a window that is much larger than my actual physical screen, and I can’t even resize it down. I’ve tried with the –desktop-scaling option, but it has no effect.
You can resize it using the regular desktop tools: xrandr and its gui
equivalents.
The default size of the desktop mode should be 1920x1080.

Changing the default is documented here:
https://xpra.org/trac/wiki/Desktop

For completeness, here are 2 more options:
* not recommended: change the xorg configuration and/or the "xvfb"
command line option
* run the server using:
XPRA_DEFAULT_VFB_RESOLUTION=1280x1024 xpra start-desktop --start=fluxbox

Note: the resolution chosen must be supported by the server, you use
"xrandr" to get the full list.

> Also, I’ve tried to use different desktops (kde, gnome and unity), and to disconnect my physical second screen from my laptop. If I start a simple program as xterm, there are no problems, it’s the proper size. However, doing so with a desktop, it just won’t work.
I don't understand what "won't work" in this case.

> Any suggestions on this? I’ve gone through all the xpra manual, but I might have overlooked a setting. Otherwise I don’t know if it can be a bug maybe…
The wiki tends to have better documentation than the man page these days.

> Thanks a lot, and of course, thanks a lot for your great work and for this tool!
Thanks.
The title of your email refers to a crash, but I don't see any details
on that.