[winswitch] xpra - ImportError: No module named client.gtk2.client

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Fri Feb 17 06:51:10 GMT 2017

(snip)
> I can create sessions, add applications and attach and detach from my Mac.
>
> Well, it works perfectly until I try to close the xrpa shell:
>
>    $ xpra list
>    Found the following xpra sessions:
>    /run/xpra:
>            LIVE session at :0
>    $ xpra stop :0
>    xpra main error:
>    Traceback (most recent call last):
>      File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/xpra/scripts/main.py", line 140, in main
>        return run_mode(script_file, err, options, args, mode, defaults)
>      File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/xpra/scripts/main.py", line 1211, in run_mode
>        return run_stopexit(mode, error_cb, options, args)
>      File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/xpra/scripts/main.py", line 2560, in run_stopexit
>        from xpra.client.gobject_client_base import StopXpraClient
>    ImportError: No module named client.gobject_client_base
>
>    $ xpra stop --socket-dir=/var/run/xpra/alrai-0
>    xpra main error:
>    Traceback (most recent call last):
>      File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/xpra/scripts/main.py", line 140, in main
>        return run_mode(script_file, err, options, args, mode, defaults)
>      File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/xpra/scripts/main.py", line 1211, in run_mode
>        return run_stopexit(mode, error_cb, options, args)
>      File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/xpra/scripts/main.py", line 2560, in run_stopexit
>        from xpra.client.gobject_client_base import StopXpraClient
>    ImportError: No module named client.gobject_client_base
>
>    $
>
> `xpra info` and `xpra version` give similar errors.
All these commands are actually clients, they connect to the server and
request something.

You should be able to run these subcommands from the client, ie:
xpra stop ssh:HOST

Separating these CLI subcommands from the "real" GUI clients is planned:
https://xpra.org/trac/ticket/1253#comment:6

>> Or you can run that same command but from your client.
>
> I'm using the Mac OS X client, but it's not obvious to me how to run that from the command line. I've just noticed the Xpra_NoDock.app inside the Xpra bundle, but the .app suffix would indicate it's a GUI app, too.
Use:
/Applications/Xpra.app/Contents/MacOS/Xpra
There are a bunch of other executables there and also in:
/Applications/Xpra.app/Contents/MacOS/Helpers
(those are mostly for debugging purposes)

> The Max GUI launcher is lovely, though.
Opinions differ on that one:
https://xpra.org/trac/ticket/1343

>> PS: disabling lz4 is not recommended. I wouldn't bother enabling x265
>> either - it is too slow.
>
> I had some USE flags enabled from when I first tried xpra 2 or more years ago, so I'll clear those out.
>
> Gentoo's default USE flags for this package appear to be:
>
>   client clipboard -csc -cups -dec_av2 -enc_ffmpeg -libav -lz4 -lzo
>   -opengl -pulseaudio -server -sound -vpx -webcam -webp -x264 -x265
I guess that's what an absolute minimal build would look like.

If you care about performance, you need to add lz4 and ideally at least
one video+csc codec, ie: vpx and csc.
And if you enable "client" then you really should enable "opengl" too.
The non-opengl client gets tested less and less with each release and as
the opengl drivers mature.

It's not clear to me what the "csc" flag does, as there are multiple csc
modules in xpra. The one you want to be using is "csc_libyuv".

> Is it worth me filling a bug with Gentoo, to suggest making lz4 a default? It seems to pull in only a single dependency, so hardly a burden.
Yes. lz4 is tiny yet it provides massive savings.

> I do appreciate the assistance you've given me, on this occasion and previously.
Thanks!

Antoine