[winswitch] XPRA on TLS/SSL

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Wed Jan 4 09:20:44 GMT 2017

On 04/01/17 01:00, Mukul Agrawal wrote:
> Antoine: Sorry for the trouble with Yahoo. I did test lots of client OS
> and browsers. I will send you summary of all testing using Gmail later
> today.
>
> Meanwhile, so I could summarize the results in a more meaningful manner,
> can you tell me some implementational differences between 1. bind-tcp
> (with ssl=*) and bind-ssl.
TCP: bind-tcp creates TCP sockets which can be upgraded to SSL if you
enable it (ssl=on flag) and if the client connects using SSL.
These sockets can also be used for the built-in webserver (http) and for
websockets connections if you enable it (html=on). See "ssl" flag.

SSL: bind-ssl sockets can only be used with a client that connects using
SSL. Be it a browser with https or a regular client with a
"ssl/HOST:PORT/" connection string.

If you are going to be using SSL, I recommend using a dedicated port for
it. This may avoid some of the issues with the protocol arbitration logic.

> 2. the differences between ssl=Mode switches. Somehow they aren't very
> intuitive for me.
This is covered in the manual, here is the changeset that added it:
https://xpra.org/trac/changeset/13610
For more information on this small limitation, see:
https://xpra.org/trac/ticket/1213#comment:3

> 3. Is ssl encryption/protocol used between client and websockify
> Webserver only or is it also used between XPRA server socket and
> websockify as well?
There is no connection between xpra and websockify. Websockify runs
embedded in the xpra server as a transport layer.