[winswitch] No menu bar in Ubuntu

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Thu Jan 19 13:40:46 GMT 2017

On 19/01/17 01:37, Douglas Doole wrote:
> Thanks Antoine.
>
> I thought the --start was the trick I needed, but it seems I've stumbled
> onto something new. :-(
>
> My general model is that I have xpra running, and then I create and
> dispose of terminal windows as needed. Then I run commands as needed
> from the terminal.
>
> I had been using "DISPLAY=:10 gnome-terminal" and had the menu bar problem.
>
> Since xpra is already running, I can't use "xpra start --start=...", so
> I used "xpra control :10 start gnome-terminal". This gives me a terminal
> window with a menu bar. Any commands I start from the terminal (gvim,
> eclipse) also have their menu bar. Yay!
Right. Can we close this thread and start a new one?
(or at least rename the thread)

> But when I try to start a second terminal using "xpra control :10 start
> gnome-terminal", xpra hangs. I get the title bar and border for the
> second window, but its contents are black. All existing windows stop
> responding to input. (Even the close button in the title bar is
> non-responsive.) The xpra icon in the systray changes from an X to the
> clipboard icon. (The systray icon responds normally.) Running "xpra
> list" shows a LIVE session. If I disconnect the client, the server still
> reports a LIVE session. However as soon as I try to reconnect the client
> the server reports it as DEAD (cleaned up). (The session is not fully
> cleaned up though - there are still 6 xpra related processes running,
> including "xpra start" and Xorg-for-Xpra". Manually killing the
> Xorg-for-Xpra process cleans everything up.)
>
> Any idea on this one?
Yes, unfortunately.

Many applications have started refusing to launch new instances when you
execute them.
This started with browsers, but it is now affecting other types of
applications. (KDE and many recent gnome applications suffer from this)
Instead of starting a new instance, they try to show a new window -
still belonging to the first process that was started.

Now, although this can cause the application to misbehave, it should not
be able to crash the xpra server. Unfortunately, clipboard misbehaviour
is an issue that is known to cause this sort of problems.
I'll try to reproduce, having a ticket with details wouldn't hurt.

> In the short term, I can just create my first window using xpra control
> start and then spawn new terminals from that. However my preferred way
> to work is to have a terminal icon in the launcher that I click to spawn
> a new terminal in xpra.
Not sure I understand this part.