[winswitch] XPRA with docker

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Mon Jul 24 08:53:56 BST 2017

On 24/07/17 09:39, Titusi Forum wrote:
> Correction:  "xpra server outside docker container"
>
> On Jul 23, 2017 7:34 PM, "Titusi Forum" <titusiforum at gmail.com
> <mailto:titusiforum at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Tim and Antonie.
>
>     I framed the question incorrectly. Sorry about that.
>
>     What I want to do is to run xpra server outside socket container. I
>     would like applications running inside multiple different containers
>     to be able to send their graphics to xpra server which in turn is
>     connected to HTML5 client across internet.
>
>     Is this doable? Thanks in advance for any pointers.
Sure. Everything goes through the xpra server's vfb, so this isn't
really an xpra question, more of a general container + X11 question.
You just need to ensure that your X11 applications can connect to the
X11 vfb server socket.

Usually, they'll lookup the DISPLAY variable and open the corresponding
socket in /tmp/.X11-unix/
You could bind-mount that directory, but this would expose all the
display sockets in that directory.
I'm sure there are other options others can suggest (preferably not
using X11 over TCP!).

Incidentally, I had suggested a better solution for private X11 sockets
many years ago, but people didn't seem to understand the use case so
this didn't get enough traction and I gave up on it:
https://xpra.org/trac/ticket/778
(and this still looks like the right solution to this sort of problem)