[winswitch] LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Tue Oct 24 14:51:03 BST 2017

On 24/10/17 19:55, Ron Eggler via shifter-users wrote:
> Hi,
> I tried to use xpra with --start-child=term
Which application is this "term"?

> but when I do this, I get
> "object '/usr/lib/xpra/libfakeXinerama.so.1.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be
> preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored" errors printed to stdout.
Looks like your library is for the wrong architecture? Maybe your system
is 32-bit and the library is not, or the other way around? Or even the
"term" executable vs the library.

In any case, those are not errors, just warnings telling you that the
preloading was ignored.
fakeXinerama is nice to have but not essential, so you can just ignore this.

> I'm using Ubuntu 16.04 & installed xpra from the repos (0.15.8).
The packages provided by Ubuntu are dangerous, do not use them:
https://www.xpra.org/trac/wiki/Packaging/DistributionPackages

> I've found
> this: https://xpra.org/trac/ticket/798 but it seems like it got closed
> without solution
Not quite: the error could not be reproduced.

> - the work around is to not use --start-child.
A better workaround would be to disable fakexinerama:
xpra start --fake-xinerama=no ...

> Anyone know if this can be fixed?
You have left out some important details: Ubuntu does not provide
packages for libfakeXinerama and neither does xpra.org, so you must have
installed it from somewhere else. And something is not installed
correctly, hence the warning.