[winswitch] Xpra GL and gtkglext woes

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Sat Sep 1 10:05:59 BST 2018

On 01/09/18 01:14, Ben Sferrazza wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 2:06 AM Antoine Martin <antoine at nagafix.co.uk
> <mailto:antoine at nagafix.co.uk>> wrote:
>
>     On 31/08/18 01:20, Ben Sferrazza wrote:
>     > Tried the Python3 builds of the Xpra 2.4 Windows client and
>     > unfortunately it has a lot of graphics artifacts (ghosting when
>     moving a
>     > terminal, some applications being completely washed out and illegible,
>     > etc). I'll continue to use the standard 2.4 build for the time being.
>     Oh! The GTK3 port is meant to be almost complete... (at least for the
>     client, the server will need a lot more work)
>     This could be because of transparency issues. (I have no idea why a
>     terminal applications would use an alpha channel but some do..)
>     Was this with xfce_terminal again?
>     Did you have OpenGL enabled or disabled? (see systray menu toggle)
>

> OK. I'm still on 2.3.3 for the server. I had tried the latest 2.4 Python
> 3 beta for Windows but had those issues. You're right that the terminal
> background transparency was the cause for its ghosting (not sure if
> there's a way to actually have the transparency work, as that would be
> pretty cool). But still had washed out colors with the Cadence
> applications I've mentioned (picture attached). OpenGL was disabled
> (showing as n/a on the client) and have attached a picture of the
> session information. Perhaps I should try getting OpenGL enabled?
Transparency normally works just fine, bar some platform quirks:
https://www.xpra.org/trac/ticket/1570
ie: we just don't use OpenGL on mswindows for windows with transparency
because it cannot be done with GTK3:
https://www.xpra.org/trac/ticket/1682

The visual artifacts you are seeing could be something caused by the
outdated libraries or bugs in CentOS 5.11, this is an unusual /
unsupported setup you have after all.

Anyway, you can turn off transparency completely on the server or on the
client with:
XPRA_ALPHA=0 xpra start ...
or
XPRA_ALPHA=0 xpra attach ..

>     > This was working just fine in Xpra 2.2, and the correct theme
>     >     and icons are shown when I VNC into the same machine. Oddly
>     enough,
>     >     Emacs does use the correct decorations even with the latest Xpra.
>     Ah, the everlasting joy of themes and xsettings.
>     You may want to try --xsettings=no
>
>     (..)
>     >         >     > 6. flickering clipboard icon in systray
>     >     Is there a way to turn off the flickering, just to avoid the
>     >     annoyance of it?
>     There is now, in 2.4:
>     http://xpra.org/trac/changeset/20251
>     To use it:
>     XPRA_CLIPBOARD_NOTIFY=0 xpra attach ...
>

> Nice. I don't see a r20251 download yet in the beta builds, but look
> forward to it.
Done.

Regarding your other points:
* seeing that no-one else has reported the "window stuck on top" focus
issue for a while, I am going to assume that this has been fixed until
someone can give me steps to reproduce the problem.
* the latest beta 2.4 builds work with any login shell (including csh
and tcsh) both with the new paramiko backend and even the plink.exe one,
I will try to backport these fixes to the 2.3 branch.
* gvim position and menu bar issues: I have failed to reproduce any of
the problems you describe using a stock CentOS 7.5 server with a MS
Windows 7, CentOS 7 and Fedora clients. I have tried both 2.3.3 and 2.4
beta builds at both ends.
I even tried it on a CentOS 6.x server with xpra 1.0.12, which does
place the window in the top left corner, but only with a 1.0 client.

I believe that covers all the points in your original email.
You should have fixes or workarounds for all the issues that can be
reproduced - let me know if I have missed something.