[winswitch] xpra dpi woes with a server running Ubuntu cosmic

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Wed Sep 12 13:43:56 BST 2018

On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 19:17:36 +0700 Antoine Martin via shifter-users
<shifter-users at lists.devloop.org.uk> wrote:
> On 12/09/2018 18:55, Perry E. Metzger via shifter-users wrote:
> > Howdy! I'm testing out xpra with a remote server running
> > Ubuntu Cosmic and a client running MacOS, and I've been having
> > some challenges with the setup setting the DPI to weird values.
> What values and where did you find them?

I found the values in the log. Opening up applications leads to crazy
display sizes, and I saw this:

2018-09-11 20:54:07,844 client @18.265 Xpra X11 server version 2.3.2-r19729 64-b
it
2018-09-11 20:54:07,845 client @18.266  running on Linux Ubuntu 18.10 cosmic
2018-09-11 20:54:07,849 DPI set to 17 x 21 (wanted 72 x 72)
2018-09-11 20:54:07,849  you may experience scaling problems, such as huge or sm
all fonts, etc
2018-09-11 20:54:07,849  to fix this issue, try the dpi switch, or use a patched
 Xorg dummy driver

> > My impression from reading old trouble tickets is that I need to
> > install a patched version of the Xdummy stuff but I'm not exactly
> > sure. What do I need to do, roughly? (I searched and couldn't
> > really find exact instructions...)
> Everything you need should be here:
> http://xpra.org/trac/browser/xpra/trunk/debian/xserver-xorg-video-dummy

Do I just patch xserver-xorg-video-dummy with what's in patches/ ?
I presume I can use the Ubuntu source package to do this?

Is there a chance of contributing these patches upstream? It would
help.

And can I install the patched Xdummy somewhere non-standard and point
xpra at it? I imagine that something in /etc/xpra/* will let me do
that but I don't know how.

> As the Ubuntu 18.10 release nears, we will start pushing packages
> to the beta repository, this will include the patched dummy driver.
> Until then, you will need to compile the driver yourself or use
> another workaround.

Perry
Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com