[winswitch] xpra dpi woes with a server running Ubuntu cosmic

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Thu Sep 13 15:41:54 BST 2018

On 13/09/2018 21:28, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Sep 2018 15:52:03 +0700 Antoine Martin
> <antoine at nagafix.co.uk> wrote:
>>> I found the values in the log. Opening up applications leads to
>>> crazy display sizes, and I saw this:
>>>
>>> 2018-09-11 20:54:07,844 client @18.265 Xpra X11 server version
>>> 2.3.2-r19729 64-b it
>>> 2018-09-11 20:54:07,845 client @18.266  running on Linux Ubuntu
>>> 18.10 cosmic 2018-09-11 20:54:07,849 DPI set to 17 x 21 (wanted
>>> 72 x 72) 2018-09-11 20:54:07,849  you may experience scaling
>>> problems, such as huge or sm all fonts, etc
>>> 2018-09-11 20:54:07,849  to fix this issue, try the dpi switch,
>>> or use a patched Xorg dummy driver
>> Right, that's the simulated "hardware DPI" that some applications
>> use. Out of curiosity, which application misbehaved?
>
> Emacs. It behaved very, very badly.
>
>>> Is there a chance of contributing these patches upstream? It would
>>> help.
>>
>> That's very very unlikely to be merged upstream.
>> The DPI patch is really hackish.
>
> Is a less hackish version possible that upstream would take? It would
> eliminate the maintenance issue with every release.
Not in its present form. There have been talks of merging proper randr
support, but things have gone very quiet:
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2016-June/058128.html
randr 1.5 support would allow us to configure virtual monitors.
Here's xpra's tracker ticket for this issue:
https://xpra.org/trac/ticket/56

>> You can use ModulePath in xorg.conf:
>> ftp://www.x.org/pub/X11R7.7-RC1/doc/man/man5/xorg.conf.5.xhtml

>> I have started pushing packages to the xpra "cosmic" repositories,
>> including the patched dummy driver. Simply adding the repository and
>> updating should give you all you need.
>
> What's the correct line for my sources.list?
Place one of those in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
https://xpra.org/repos/cosmic/xpra.list
or:
https://xpra.org/repos/cosmic/xpra-beta.list