[winswitch] Xpra - Test system works, production dies??? No server - but program runs???

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Sat Jul 10 04:18:28 BST 2021

On 06/07/2021 23:52, xpra--- via shifter-users wrote:

> Quoting Antoine Martin via shifter-users
> <shifter-users at lists.devloop.org.uk>:
>
>> and we've just had a few reports of problems with the ffmpeg vaapi
>> hardware accelerated encoder:
>> https://github.com/Xpra-org/xpra/issues/3174
>>
>> If that's the cause of your problem, you can run with:
>> xpra start --env=XPRA_VAAPI=0 ....
>
> OK. Using that, solves *my* issue, but I would guess... maybe not for
> others and the best???
I'm not sure what you mean.
The NVENC encoder has also had a few problems in the past, the most
common one being a slow startup with some professional multi GPU cards.
But the ffmpeg vaapi codec is the only one that seems to causes crashes
or hangs, which is why it is going to be turned off by default in 4.2.1:
https://github.com/Xpra-org/xpra/commit/fb52a4b8e58eaa27df509e2286d16efcd0d93ae6

> This is not optimal?????
Clearly not.

> Especially with something that may have
> intensive graphics interactions, which is the case here in a few
> situations...
Just to be clear: we're talking about video compression.
You can still run any application you like, with or without opengl
acceleration - as this is a different aspect.
Hardware assisted video compression is only really needed to support
high framerate and / or high resolutions.

> So is this:
>
> XPRA?
Unlikely but possible.
And it could be a argued that the API is not very robust if it allows
simple calls to completely lock up an application.
(especially when those calls do work on other kernel / driver combinations)
> Kernel?
> underlying drivers for hardware????
Usually yes.

> Combination of this????
Likely yes.
But that's impossible for me to tell without more details.
Feel free to create a ticket and attach your logs:
https://github.com/Xpra-org/xpra/issues/new/choose

> Just looking to get the best out of XPRA.
For now, just turn off VAAPI.