[winswitch] Fedora33 xpra h264 encoding support not working

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Wed May 26 14:24:48 BST 2021

On 26/05/2021 19:56, Michael Cronenworth via shifter-users wrote:
> On 5/26/21 7:43 AM, Antoine Martin via shifter-users wrote:
>> For the sake of completeness, this is not 100% accurate: ffmpeg can be
>> built under the GPL license and without the nonfree codecs.
>> xpra's ffmpeg encoder which we are discussing in this thread can be
>> enabled without those.
>> Whether that's practical or not is another question.
>
> You're being extremely pedantic.
I would prefer "accurate".
But we're really digressing here.

> Let's back up.>
> Sure, it can. Will anyone package and ship it in Fedora that way? No.
> Besides the enormous effort to strip out the patented code
I don't think it is as hard as you think: don't use --enable-nonfree and
do enable --enable-gpl

> the handful
> of codecs that would remain wouldn't make it useful.
It would be useful enough for xpra, in the context of what we're
discussing in this thread.
(I haven't checked - I assume that the libva code is GPL)

> Disabling the
> codecs at build time is not enough if we want to be pedantic.
Let's digress a bit more then: why not?

>> There's a lot more to this than just the patented codec issue:
>> https://github.com/Xpra-org/xpra/wiki/Distribution-Packages
>
> I think you missed my point. I was not saying "package the Fedora
> version into RPMFusion" -- I was saying take your (xpra.org) packages
> and ship them in RPMFusion.
Ah. I'm not sure what the process would be here.
Worth looking into I guess.