[winswitch] run_scaled runs command but nothing shows up

Ben Pearre bwpearre at gmail.com
Wed May 11 22:29:13 BST 2022

Hi!

Fully up-to-date manjaro, running xpra 4.3.3 just downloaded from github.
Nvidia Xorg driver. Please let me know what other version info you might
need.

Since I couldn't find anything like this in the xpra issue tracker, I'll
assume I'm doing something stupid...?

"run_scaled xterm" produces no errors, detaches, and then does nothing
obvious.

Running "xpra" pops up a control window, browsing reveals that the xterm is
there, and I can attach to it. I'd thought that run_scaled did this
automatically---it did with the 4.2.x that someone packaged for
Manjaro---but this is encouraging.

Problem is, it's not scaled.

I assume this might have something to do with the line "DPI set to 32 x 33
(wanted 288 x 288)"? The desired screen resolution is indeed about 288
(EDID reports correctly, visible in the log I've attached). Almost this
error message was a bug back in 4.2.x (where it said "DPI set to 8x8 [...]"
or something, so 2.9 cheers for hillclimbing optimisation) but darnit?

There are a bunch of errors and warnings. Do I have to add the user to
group xpra? Running as root doesn't seem to fix anything, so that's
probably not it...

I'd be surprised if errors with html or cuda or webcam etc would result in
no scaling, but I could be wrong?

Does this have anything to do with the fact that there are around a dozen
pieces of Manjaro / xfce / X11 that keep trying to override the EDID
resolution with the 96 x 96 lie? I think this lie is exactly why we need
run_scaled, so I bet all that nonsense is ignored...?

Pointers? What am I failing to do correctly?

Many thanks!