[winswitch] Optimizing XPRA for Slow Internet Connections So that is like RDP defaults

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Wed Oct 26 14:00:44 BST 2022

On 12/10/2022 19:23, Lonnie Best via shifter-users wrote:
> My bandwidth is 2.7mb/s down and 0.5mb/s up.
This is confusing: do you mean MB/s or Mbps?
Typically, bandwidth is measured in megabits per seconds. (Mbps)

> How should I configure xpra
> so that I get similar performance to RDP (which works perfectly fine for
> connecting to Windows desktops)?
The minimum amount of bandwidth required for a good experience with xpra
depends on a number of factors, OTOH and in no specific order:
* the type of application used,
* link latency and jitter, transport protocol used - firewalls and QoS..
* server hardware and GPU,
* client screen size and bit depth,
* availability of OpenGL acceleration with the client,
etc

It should be usable for non-demanding applications with just 10Mbps, but
~25Mbps is the recommended minimum.

This minimum requirement is likely to be increased for the next LTS
release because bandwidth continues to become cheaper and standard
screen resolutions have also increased - with 4K now being quite common.

If you intend to watch youtube videos in a browser on a 4K monitor, you
should budget 60-100Mbps or more and / or GPU assisted compression.
(FYI: this is still hundreds of times less bandwidth than an HDMI cable)

> My original question is here:
> https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/720474/enhancing-performance-of-x11-forwarding
>
> I'm trying to get XPRA optimized for slow connections.
Please see the man page and try the following settings:
--[min-]speed: set this lower, which will compress more
--[min-]quality: set this lower to sacrifice quality
--bandwidth-limit=2Mbps
On large screens, you may also want to sacrifice pixels using
'--desktop-scaling=2'