[winswitch] project management changes needed

Antoine Martin totaam at xpra.org
Sun Jul 23 16:13:16 BST 2023

Hi,

Xpra is being used extensively for critical deployments, worldwide, by
individuals as well as some of the most prestigious organizations on the
planet.

Unfortunately, it seems that very few actually want to contribute to the
project and this means that the project's funding has not been
sustainable for a while.
I was hoping that at least some of the more serious enquiries would
eventually lead somewhere, but it seems they all assumed that someone
else would.

Unless things improve in the next few months, I intend to:
* archive the mailing list and switch over to github discussions,
* move all the package downloads to a third party hosting service (TBD),
* redirect xpra.org to github,
* finally release version 5.0 and a few minor updates after that,
* give commit, release and key privileges to more contributors,
* decommission the hardware currently hosting a lot of these services,
* step down as maintainer

Despite my best efforts to welcome contributions to the project and make
the codebase more approachable, it seems unlikely that anyone will be
able to take over in the short term.
It is slightly frightening to think that users will be left with the
already sub-par downstream packaging for a project of this importance
and size.
I do feel guilty for this messy state of affairs, so I will gladly
listen to any suggestions on how best to protect the future of this
project before I move on.

No matter what happens in the next few weeks / months, I would like to
take this opportunity to thank all past and present sponsors, and all
those who have helped the project until now through contributions of any
kind.
https://github.com/Xpra-org/xpra/blob/master/docs/SPONSORS.md
https://github.com/sponsors/totaam