[shifter-users] xpra on linux, shifter on windows

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Fri Sep 10 11:01:38 BST 2010

  On 09/10/2010 12:18 AM, Rob Byrnes wrote:
> I have an xpra session running on a Linux box (Ubuntu Lucid Lynx), and
> want to connect to it using Shifter via an SSH tunnel over the
> internet.
>
> I have ssh tunnelling checked on the Windows box, but TortoisePlink
> does not seem to start when I hit the "connect" button
Yes, lots of people are reporting problems with the SSH tunnels (me
included..), the whole thing is about to get re-written using conch-ssh
rather than battling ay longer with all the peculiarities of
openssh/solaris-ssh/plink/... and all the nasty hacks to make
twisted-process behave on windows.
I'll get onto it as soon as I can.

[snip]
> I have tried configuring both ssh keys as well as password auth.
>
> On the Linux box I started xpra thusly:
> % xpra start :7
> Entering daemon mode; any further errors will be reported to:
>    /home/loop/.xpra/:7.log
> % xpra list
> Found the following xpra sessions:
>          LIVE session at :7
This is not meant to work, shifter only knows about sessions it started
itself via the applet. (in this case it would not know how to attach to
it: what options you used to start it up, etc)
> There is no firewall on the Linux box to get in the way, and an ssh
> server is running
If there is no firewall on the Linux box, is it really open to the internet?