[winswitch] WinSwitch - Issues connecting via SSH?

Victor Hooi victorhooi at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 22 11:14:45 GMT 2012

heya,

Ok, so to confirm, my client is Windows 7 running Winswitch 0.12.11.

The server I'm connecting to is running Ubuntu Server 11.10 (Oneiric
Ocelot). I've installed Xorg, as well as nxproxy and nxagent from the X2Go
PPA (https://launchpad.net/~x2go/+archive/stable/+packages).

The reason I'm using Putty to setup a tunnel first, and connecting via that
is because I can't SSH directly from client to server - I have to go via a
HTTP proxy. However, WinSwitch doesn't have support for using a HTTP proxy
and SSH, hence I have to connect using Putty, setup a tunnel, and then use
WinSwitch through that.

I've tested the Ptty tunnel with a SSH client, and it seems to work fine,
so the tunnel certainly *seems* to be setup correctly.

So the Windows WinSwitch client doesn't currently support Pageant's key
agent, right? But there's a option in WinSwitch itself to select a SSH key
- that should work right? And then when it tries to connect, it should
prompt me for the password for that keyfile?

When I tried using a keyfile, it didn't seem to do anything - no connection
or error message.

When I removed the keyfile and enabled password authentication, I got the
following message in /var/log/auth.log on the server:

Failed keyboard-interactive/pam for <username> from 127.0.0.1 port 38428
> ssh2

So it's almost like WinSwitch is sending the wrong password or something to
the server - although I'm confirmed that password works fine with an
ordinary SSH client. Very weird.

Is there anything else I can do to diagnose/narrow down the issue?

Cheers,
Victor