[winswitch] xpra 0.7.0 and little keyboard troubles

Dmitry Smirnov onlyjob at member.fsf.org
Mon Oct 15 23:10:05 BST 2012

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 18:15:50 Antoine Martin wrote:
> Would you mind trying r1941 to confirm that it is this changeset that is
> causing the regression? (there's nothing else keyboard related after
> this one - but better make sure)

If you think it's necessary... (I already tried r1944)...

> And if so, can you try each half separately (ignoring the win32 changes):
> * the changes to xpra/xkbhelper.py (to do with zero keycodes)
> * the changes to xpra/server_source.py (

In r1941 regression is manifested so it is positive that r1941 is broken.

When I tried r1941 with xpra/server_source.py from r1940 I couldn't reproduce
the issue.

> Please be aware that due to some unfortunate asymmetry in the code X11
> keyboard API, it is possible for the keyboard mappings to degrade every
> time you connect. This makes it much harder to pinpoint issues as it may
> take 2 or more connections before the problems manifest themselves. (as
> I found out at my expense when fixing Mac OS/win32 "AltGr" support)

Interesting but I never experienced this.
However you're right, something like this is there, for example (as I reported
earlier) some keys like keypad '*' (and some others) may not work after
switching from non-English keyboard layout and back, but start working again
after switching layout one more time (to non-English and back again).

It is a bit weird to notice keyboard problems after odd layout switch but not
after even. :)

All the best,
Dmitry.