[winswitch] xpra 0.6.1 -- feedback

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Mon Sep 17 09:24:27 BST 2012

On 09/17/2012 08:52 AM, Dmitry Smirnov wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 22:20:47 Antoine Martin wrote:
>> Thanks, will take a look.
>> I am currently re-working the latency and quality knobs, aiming to make
>> it choose suitable delays and quality in all cases, but it may be that
>> we end up having to give the user control over the quality vs latency
>> tradeoff, as a simple spinner in Firefox is often enough to skew the
>> statistics..
>
> Great but until it's proven to work well I think PNG encoding as default would
> be better.
No, sorry, x264 is the way forward, I'd rather fix the remaining latency
and quality issues than use a slow and outdated encoding.

>>> Thank you for the patch. I applied to both server and client but server
>>> crashed in exactly the same way with the same error logged.
>>> Anything else I can do to help?
>>
>> Hmm, I don't see how it is possible to get a 1x1 area with the patch
>> applied, have you got a specific app that creates those 1x1 windows?
>> (I can always cook one up, but would rather make sure I use the same one)
>
> With patch applied I tested again and found that patch is actually may be
> helping a bit at the cost of visual distortion of ~2...4 pixels at right hand
> side of some windows. I tried to connect to two different xpra instances and
> couldn't crash both of them by switching to 'VPX' encoding.
This visual distortion is probably from the colourspace conversion (I
think), x264 is not affected because the size is rounded down to the
nearest even number, I will try to find a better solution for vpx but we
may end up taking the same approach..
AFAICT this is not related to this patch or other recent changes either.

> However third session where I have iceweasel, kmail and reportbug-ng running
> is crashing reliably.
Downloaded and installed iceweasel, cannot reproduce...